Tired of plain and boring white rice, let discover new ways to infuse some health into your daily meal choices. Whole wheat grains have been described to expose the body to a broader spectrum of nutrients. The bran and endosperm of the grain are packed with proteins, fiber, iron, B Vitamins and antioxidants. Whole wheat has been linked with positive outcomes in the management of diabetes, blood cholesterol and weight control. This is just one of the reasons why you should include more wheat grains in your meals.
When we talk of wheat based meals, try thinking beyond wheat bread. There is a vast array of recipes which includes wheat as its main staple. Below is a simple wheat based recipe you can try
- Whole wheat grains, 3/4 cup
- Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil ,1 tablespoon
- Carrot , 3 small grated
- Red/green bell pepper , 2 medium bulbs chopped
- Onions, 2 medium bulbs chopped
- Ginger, 2 teaspoons grated
- Garlic, 1 clove minced
- White pepper, ¼ teaspoon
- Black pepper, ¼ teaspoon
- Egg, 2 egg whites beaten
- grilled chicken breast, 4 ounces shredded
- Cook wheat in a small saucepan with 1 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook, undisturbed, until wheat absorbs water, about 1 hour. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and leave uncovered.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add black pepper and white and stir for 10seconds
- Add egg whites. Stir gently until egg is evenly distributed.
- Add onions, ginger, garlic, if desired; cook, stirring frequently for about 2 minutes.
- Add cooked quinoa and stir gently
- Sprinkle chopped pepper and grated carrots into mixture. Stir gently until it is evenly distributed.
- Allow to cook for 2 minutes and add shredded grilled chicken. Stir until it is evenly distributed.
- Serve with some side salad (optional) and enjoy.