This recipe is for pancake lovers who are cutting back on a few calories. A typical pancake recipe comprises of some ounces of calorie; dense flour, milk, eggs and butter totaling 160kcal for one six inches (6’) pancake without toppings. With a few healthy modifications you can enjoy this low calorie banana pancake (90kcal) which does not include FLOUR. This delicious recipe is also loaded with nutrients; potassium, vitamin B6, magnesium, fiber to mention a few.
I must also add, this a great meal or snack for children, especially fussy eaters. It is delicious and very easy to make.
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder, for fluffier pancakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil, for the pan.
- Maple syrup or jam.
- 1 cup fresh fruit, like mango, pawpaw or apples.
- Small mixing bowls
- Nonstick griddle or frying pan.
- Mash the banana: Peel the banana and break it up and mash until the banana has a pudding-like consistency and no large lumps remain.
- Add any extra ingredients: Add 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder for fluffier, lighter pancakes, and whisk in salt, cinnamon or vanilla to add flavor to the pancakes.
- Stir in the eggs: Whisk the eggs together until the yolk and whites are completely combined. Pour the eggs over the banana and stir until the eggs are completely combined.
- Heat a pan over medium heat: Melt a little butter or warm a little vegetable oil in the pan to prevent sticking, if you like.
- Drop the batter on hot pan: Drop roughly 2 tablespoons of batter onto the hot pan. It should sizzle immediately — if not, turn up the heat slightly.
- Cook for about 1 minute: Cook the pancakes until the bottoms look browned and golden when you lift a corner.
- Sprinkle with toppings: Sprinkle any loose toppings, like nuts or fruits, over the top of the pancakes. Serve and enjoy.
Regular pancake (white flour, egg, milk, oil)
Calorie: 323kcal, carbohydrate: 41g protein: 12g fat: 11g fiber: 1.3g
Banana pancake (banana, egg, oil)
Calorie: 147kcal, carbohydrate: 23g protein: 4.7g fat: 0.39g fiber: 2.6g
Banana has a relatively low calorie as compared to regular pancake thus it is highly recommended for weight management. Not only is it a low calorie meal option, it is also loaded with nutrients namely potassium, B vitamins and vitamin C which are beneficial in warding off many diseases.