10 Facts about Glaucoma
1. Glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness globally according to the WHO.
2. Glaucoma causes an irreversible damage to the optic nerve.
3. There is no cure (yet) for Glaucoma
4. There may be no symptoms to warn you
5. Elevated eye pressure is a major risk factor for Glaucoma
6.Glaucoma is a hereditary disease
7.Glaucoma results in a peripheral or side vision loss initially , which affects your ability to move safely.
8. Early detection and treatment for glaucoma can slow down the progression of the disease
9. Glaucoma can be managed with medications and surgery
10. The best way to prevent vision loss in Glaucoma is to be regular with scheduled eye examinations as advised by your eye care professional.
Dr Prince Opuni Quarcoo (OD)